John represents employers and management in connection with a variety of labor and employment matters, including the defense of state and federal government investigations and all types of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wage-and-hour claims in state and federal courts and administrative agencies. John also provides preventative advice and counsel to business owners, directors, upper management, and HR professionals on day-to-day personnel issues and leads internal investigations.
Prior to joining Lockaby PLLC, John served as General Counsel for the Kentucky Education and Labor Cabinet’s Department of Workplace Standards and Department of Workers’ Claims, where he led the Commonwealth’s legal teams investigating and prosecuting OSHA, wage-and-hour, and workers’ compensation violations. John also previously served as an Assistant Attorney General, working in the Office of Consumer Protection and Office of Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Control where he investigated and prosecuted a variety of civil fraud actions. John’s extensive experience with government investigations is second to none.
A native of Lexington, Kentucky, John attended Lafayette High School and received both his bachelor’s degree and law degree from the University of Kentucky. John is a member of the Kentucky Bar Association and serves on the Communications and Publications Committee. He is also a member of the Central Kentucky Inns of Court.
John enjoys traveling and has enjoyed visiting various countries in Western Europe and the Middle East. Further, he enjoys spending time with his spouse Jane and three kids Elizabeth, Charlie, and Leila.
- Alben W. Barkley: Harry S. Truman’s Unexpected Political Asset, Kaleidoscope: Vol. 7, Article 15 (2008)
- Restoring the Vote: Former Felons, International Law, and the Eighth Amendment, 40 Hastings Const. L.Q. 757 (2013)
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 2012
- Honors: President, Student Public Interest Law Foundation
- University of Kentucky
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Departmental Honors
- Major: History and English
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky
- Kentucky Bar Association