Since 2006, Matt has successfully represented employees and employers in nearly every aspect of workplace law. He has defended employers in state and federal courts and administrative agencies against a wide variety of workplace claims, including race, national origin, age, sex, and disability discrimination and retaliation claims, workers' compensation retaliation claims, alleged violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act and whistleblower statutes, and breach-of-contract actions. Matt also provides day-to-day advice and counsel to human resources professionals, ranging from recruiting, hiring, and firing decisions, preparing employment contracts and severance agreements, and updating personnel policies and procedures, and he conducts and oversees sexual harassment and other internal investigations.
Matt is also committed to representing disaffected employees. He maintains a thriving practice fighting for those who have been the subject of unlawful discrimination, retaliation, and harassment.
In addition, Matt is one of the very few attorneys in Kentucky that has significant experience both defending and prosecuting class action claims. His experience spans the gamut of class litigation, from initial discovery to briefing certification issues to pursuing Rule 23(f) appeals to negotiating and managing multimillion dollar settlements. Matt has successfully defended class actions involving claims for discrimination, negligence, product liability, trespass, and nuisance, and he currently prosecutes consumer class actions and mass tort actions.
B.A., Centre College, 2000
J.D., cum laude, Salmon P. Chase College of Law at Northern Kentucky University, 2006
- Executive Editor, Northern Kentucky Law Review, 2005-2006
- Associate Editor, Northern Kentucky Law Review, 2004-2005
Awards & Accolades
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013-Present
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, 2014-Present
- State Admissions: Ohio and Kentucky
- Federal Admissions: United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit; United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky; United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- American Bar Association (member, Class Action and Derivative Suits committee and Labor & Employment Law section)
- Kentucky Bar Association (member, Labor & Employment Law section)
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Barrister, Central Kentucky American Inn of Court
- Thoroughbred Club of America
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- "Advanced Issues in Personal Injury Litigation" (March 2016 National Business Institute seminar; Lexington, Kentucky)
- "A Title IX Primer: Sexual Harassment and Sex Discrimination in Colleges and Universities" (October 2015 Appalachian College Association Risk Management Symposium; Richmond, Kentucky)
- "Human Resources Issues for Local Governments" (May 2015 National Business Institute seminar; Lexington, Kentucky)
- "Human Resources Law from Start to Finish" (February 2015 and February 2014 National Business Institute seminars for human resources professionals; Lexington, Kentucky)
- "Top Five Ways ERISA Third-Party Administrators Can Limit Liability" (February 2014 National Pension Consultants annual seminar; Sarasota, Florida)
Beyond Lockaby PLLC
Matt resides in Lexington, Kentucky, with his wife, Amanda, and their daughter, Lily. Outside the office, you can usually find him outdoors: he has climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa; Mt. Rainier in Washington; and Quandary Peak in Colorado, and he escapes to Lake Cumberland to go boating every chance he gets.
- (859) 263-7884